Currently, incidences of breast cancer are on the rise all around the world. According to a research conducted in the United States, 1 in 8 women is at risk of being diagnosed with breast cancer. One of the best ways to lower the risk or prevent the development of breast cancer is through one’s stomach.
Changing one’s dietary intake can make a huge difference to the body’s metabolism, making one’s immune system stronger to tackle the formation of cancerous cells. By making a few tweaks in your diet, you can do your part in lessening your chances of developing breast cancer. From foods-to-absolutely-avoid to foods-you-need-to-take-second-helpings-of, here are a few tips to enhance your diet:
Also read: Breast Cancer – The Next Epidemic
- Keep away from red meat. Red meat is not the best item on your plate if you’re looking to eat healthier, as it leaves you feeling bloated. With high-fat and carcinogenic substances that trigger cancer cell growth, processed and red meat is best to be eaten in small portions or not at all.
- Stay away from bad carbs. White grains and flour are an absolute evil for a healthy diet. These are termed as bad carbs because of their tendency to slow down metabolism and provide almost zero nutritional value. Instead, opt for whole-grain.
- Keep your alcohol intake to a minimum. Even one glass of wine a day can increase your risk of breast cancer by 40 percent. Alcohol in your system can cause dehydration, slow down metabolism and hamper with your liver functions.
- Add flax or chia seeds to your diet. Loaded with antioxidants, flax and chia seeds help prevent cell damage and ultimately, diseases like cancer. Add it to your breakfast with oats, a smoothie, or take a spoonful of chia on an empty stomach.
- Indulge in healthy protein. High-protein foods like chickpea and lentils should be a priority in your diet plan, as they help repair damaged cells. Intake of lean meats, like poultry and fish, is also advisable but in moderate amounts.
- Fibre up. Doctors advice eating plenty of fibre-rich foods as fibre content in the body reduces high oestrogen levels in the body, which is a cause of breast cancer development.
Apart from following these dietary strategies, it is important to get a routine check-up every few months and speak to your doctor about your concerns, if any. Changing other lifestyle habits, like getting the optimal amount of sleep, exercising, and cutting down on smoking can impact your body’s growth positively and prevent the development of breast cancer.
To know more: Breast Cancer Prevention